LETŠENG DIAMOND MINE ASSISTS LESOTHO GOVERNMENT IN DISASTER RELIEF INITIATIVES

Back

10 Aug 2006

Letšeng Diamonds have assisted the Lesotho Government in their disaster relief initiatives following last week's heavy snowfall. Areas in Lesotho above the 2000 metre level were covered in a metre of snow which created snowdrifts of up to five metres deep.

Letšeng Mine staff mobilized equipment to open the road serving Mokhotlong and the mine. Gem Diamonds Clifford Elphick made a helicopter available to fly staff from the Lesotho Electricity Corporation and Lesotho Telecommunications to inaccessible areas to repair damaged power lines and restore telephone links. Mine staff also rescued stranded travelers and provided emergency accommodation at the mine. The Lesotho Defense Force Air Wing assisted the mine with a shift change involving 140 employees.

Letseng Diamonds has provided financial assistance to the Disaster Management Authority to assist with their programme of flying food in to isolated communities in the mountains.

The purchase of 70% of Letšeng by Gem Diamonds is awaiting final shareholder approval by JCI and Matodzi, the remaining 30% is owned by the Government of the Kingdom of Lesotho.

In the Mountain Kingdom, life slowly returns to normal. Its inhabitants, with the exception of the ski resort operators, look forward with more than their usual interest to the advent of spring!

For further information:
Gaynor Stone
OrangeK

Sherryn Tedder, Investor Relations
Tel: +27 11 447 7893
Fax: +27 11 447 5413
Mob: +27 82 578 7001
Email: Gaynor@orangek.co.za

Biographies and photographs are available on request.